Dubai residents describe screams as flames engulf 79-storey building

Adjust Comment Print

A huge fire has broken out at Dubai's Torch tower, one of the tallest buildings in the world.

Burning embers and chunks of debris showered the streets below as firefighters battled the high-rise inferno.

Another resident, whose gave his name as Mohammed and lives on the 12th floor, said the top part of the tower caught fire first and then lower levels followed as debris fell.

"Firefighting squads from 4 Civil Defense stations have been deployed to bring the fire under control & ensure safety of residents". On Friday afternoon, Dubai Police reopened roads leading to the tower. More than 1,000 people were evacuated from the 1,105-foot tall building.

More news: Trump's Foreign Policy Is Jeopardized After Senate Approves Sanctions Against Russia

Authorities shared a photo of the charred and blackened tower after the fire was put out.

The resident said a lot of people got out of the building but added that it was unclear if there were people still trapped inside.

As the residential skyscraper has been caught on fire, the residents managed to run down the stairs and it took them perhaps 10 minutes to reach the ground floor coming from the 50 floor.

In February 2015, a blaze swallowed the building.

More news: Did Wyndham Lathem and Andrew Warren murder Chicago hairstylist?

The Independent writes that the United Arab Emirates updated its building safety code in 2013, and now requires that all new buildings taller than 50ft must use entirely fire-resistant cladding.

On Friday morning, police vehicles were still parked in front of the residential tower of 79-storeys.

The New York Times reports that "cladding has contributed to at least three other skyscraper fires in recent years in Dubai".

The neighborhood is home to dozens of towering apartment blocks and hotels, many of them built over the past decade.

More news: GDP in European Union , eurozone up 0.6 percent in 2nd quarter

A blaze tore through Dubai's Torch Tower for the second time in two years as firefighters frantically worked to save the 84-story building.