Two Ukrainian tourists were killed and four other foreigners wounded by an attacker with a knife at an Egyptian Red Sea holiday resort on Friday.
Officials said the assailant, who has been arrested, swam to the beach before attacking the tourists. An Egyptian security official said three Serbs and a Swiss were rushed to hospital with stab wounds.
The suspect is being questioned by police to determine his motives, the interior ministry said.More news: Scary scene at Wimbledon as Bethanie Mattek-Sands crumples, screaming 'help me'
Security and medical sources had earlier reported the two women killed were Ukrainians, but Major General Mohamed El-Hamzawi, security manager of Red Sea province, told Reuters the two victims had been identified as Germans.
Tourists were reportedly stabbed in the face, neck and feet by the attacker.
An initial investigation suggests that the man reached the hotel by swimming from a nearby beach and attacked the tourists. The news agency AP confirmed the victims' nationality.More news: End Qatar blockade, UK FM tells Arab states
Egypt's security forces are dealing with an Islamist uprising in the country's Sinai Peninsula.
The 2016 attack was one of the incidents that affected tourism in the last two years, leading to a severe decline in revenues generated from Egypt's tourism sector.
Elsewhere on Friday, gunmen ambushed a checkpoint in Giza province south of Cairo, shooting and killing five policemen and setting their vehicle on fire.More news: United Nations adopts draft treaty on nuclear weapons ban