Israel reopens Jerusalem holy site after deadly assault

Adjust Comment Print

"We will not break the solidarity of the people", said Jamal Abdallah, a Palestinian who now lives in the U.S. state of Arizona and was planning to visit Al Aqsa, but changed his mind when he was told of the situation.Israel took the highly unusual decision of closing the compound for Friday prayers, triggering anger from Muslims and Jordan, the holy site's custodian.

Similar call was issued by Palestinian Authority President and Fatah chairman Mahmoud Abbas on Monday, which was followed by a night of riots in East Jerusalem, leaving 50 Palestinians and one police officer hurt.

Palestinian worshipers have protested the new devices, which they say infringe upon the fragile status-quo governing Muslim and Jewish prayer at the incendiary site.

Israeli-Palestinian tensions have risen in recent days following an attack near an ultra-sensitive Jerusalem holy site on Friday that killed two Israeli policemen. Under the status quo agreement, which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged late on Saturday to continue to uphold, Jews are allowed to enter the compound under close supervision, but only Muslims are permitted to worship there.

More news: Flight Attendant Smashes Wine Bottle on Unruly Passenger

Israeli police have beefed up security, deploying hundreds of troops and erecting roadblocks at the entrances of Jerusalem's Old City, barring non-residents from entering.

Abdullah condemned the attack, but also called on Netanyahu to reopen the Al Aqsa compound and stressed the need to "avoid any escalation at the site".

When it was reopened on Sunday, metal detectors had been installed, to the anger of Muslim religious authorities.

Dozens of worshippers gathered to pray at an entrance to the compound next to the Lions' Gate entry to the Old City. 'I assume that with time they will understand that this is not awful, ' he told Army Radio. "We see them everywhere they have become a part of our lives".

More news: Iran Comes 15th at FIBA U-19 World Cup

Israel's emergency medical service, Magen David Adom, said two soldiers in their 20s were injured in the purported attack, whom were transferred to Shaare Zedek hospital in Jerusalem al-Quds for treatment.

Forty Israelis, two USA tourists and a British student have been killed in Palestinian stabbings, shootings and car-rammings.

Immediately after the incident, Israel shut down the compound, saying that security forces need to check the site for more militants or ammunition.

A Palestinian driver rammed his vehicle into a group of Israeli soldiers in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday and was shot dead by the troops, the Israeli military said.

More news: End Qatar blockade, UK FM tells Arab states

Comments