A member of an elite Afghan commando unit opened fire on USA -led coalition troops at an Afghan base in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif, wounding seven US service personnel and at least one Afghan soldier, military officials say.
A massive attack in April on the same Shaheen base by Taliban militants left scores of Afghan soldiers dead.
Abdul Qahar Araam, spokesman for the 209 Army corps, said soldiers returned fired killing the attacker.More news: UK central bank divided over whether to raise interest rates
"Initial information shows three United States soldiers visiting the base were wounded", Afghan official Mohammad Radmanish told the AFP news agency.
The injured troops have been evacuated for treatment, the mission said in a statement.
It comes a week after an Afghan army commando shot dead three U.S. special forces soldiers in eastern Afghanistan. The Taliban claimed responsibility for last week's attack. The U.S. has around 8,400 troops now deployed to the country. Since 2001, more than 2,000 American troops have been killed in combat and noncombat roles in the country.
Two police officers were killed and five wounded during the attack, Reuters reports, citing Danish. The others held out against Afghan special forces that had responded to the attack, he said.More news: Shot US Congressman Scalise undergoes surgery
Islamabad said Afghanistan had formed three different investigating groups to probe the incident.
The man who attacked Camp Shaheen, the Afghan military base, was wearing an Afghan military uniform, the second such attack in the country in a week. It is also used by allied groups such as the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan, Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, Shabaab, and by the rival Islamic State.
Dillon C. Baldridge, 22 of Youngsville, North Carolina - were killed June 10 when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them in Peka Valley, located in Nangarhar Province.More news: No interest in renegotiating Paris climate deal; McKenna